Thursday, February 11, 2010

Paris, Part 3a

Sunday, February 7, 2010 Notre Dame

Sunday morning I got up with a friend and we found our way to Notre Dame for Mass. It was a fantastic experience, completely in French so I didn’t understand a word. One thing I found different was Notre Dame allows tourists to wander the outskirts of the church while Mass continues in the roped-off center portion. Not that the tourists were particularly distracting, but there are also guards wandering behind them, shushing a few times.



I was warned that Paris is beautiful. I was told that I would melt, that it would change my perspective of Europe. But, until I was standing in Notre Dame, a centuries old cathedral, listening to a chorus that sounds like angels, I did not understand. Paris is gorgeous. Sparkly. Breathtaking.



I was speechless.



Standing in the entryway to a church hundreds of thousands have paced and prayed in before me, a sense of calm just enveloped me. For one of the first times since I have arrived, there were no thoughts racing through my mind but “wow.” That’s it. There are no words that can do it justice, and my pictures fail too.




It's so large in person, and the inside feels very open with the super high vaulted ceiling.


No comments:

Post a Comment