Sunday, January 17, 2010

First weekend in London

It’s been a busy weekend, which I needed. The less time I sit and sulk the better. Friday night was the Boat Tour Party, which was very fun, but very cold. We sailed for several hours; saw Big Ben, the London Eye, and Tower Bridge. My camera unfortunately broke, so I don’t have many pictures of that night but my friends were great and took plenty.


Saturday we wandered around High Street Kent, the British version of a main street in an area. I got a new camera, an electric tea kettle for my room, and some assorted groceries I can keep here. Saturday night was the Jack the Ripper tour in East and Central London. It was a little too creepy for me. They showed were many of the murders actually happened and I ended up having a terrible nightmare about it last night. That’s the end of the scary tours for me!


This morning we toured Chelsea Stadium, the football (soccer) place. It was intense; I think the Brits view soccer like we view our football. I would love to go to a game. A few friends and I are looking into it. After we took the tube back, a group of us bought food at a near buy deli and picnicked on the benches in Kensington Gardens, by the palace where Princess Diana lived. It was the first sunny, gorgeous day since we’ve been here, and slightly warmer too (frigid instead of freezing, basically). We walked around the pond, then headed for the dorms. I’m leaving for church in a few minutes, then dinner at Princess Di’s favorite pizzeria.


My homesickness is getting more manageable. It’s crazy to think that at 6:15 PM London time, its 1:15PM at home, and my family just got back from church and is eating lunch. Classes start tomorrow, and I am nervous to see how they are set up. I hope they aren’t too difficult, but I am glad I am taking 5 classes because being busy definitely helps keep my mind off missing everything and everyone from home. I'm trying to plan some small, fun activities for myself with friends, since that helps too. More pictures to come from today, and I'll be sure to post about my first few days of school.

No comments:

Post a Comment