This past weekend, I started packing. I did an initial packing post way back in January, so I feel like it’s appropriate to explain how I am getting everything back with me. I purchase a few items of clothing and several souvenirs and received some clothing and a pair of boots from home, so while not everything is coming back with me, I am more then making up for it with new items.
I am either donating or throwing away about 1/3 of the clothing I brought over with me. I obviously had a very limited wardrobe, which meant constant use for everything I brought (with a few select exceptions). Things that normally experience rotation, like sweaters, tee shirts, jeans, undies, and socks were worn again and again. The European washing machine and dryer are very harsh on clothing, so that destroyed a few pieces too.
I will be flying back with the 2 suitcases, backpack, and large purse I traveled here with. I had packed a small duffle, which will also be checked, and I think I will be okay with that amount of space. My largest suitcase is packed full with 2 of my coats, 3 pairs of shoes (2 of which are boots), all my souvenirs and gifts for people at home, and my winter clothing. My duffle is half full with a few other souvenirs, another pair of boots, my raincoat, and a few personal books I want to bring home. I am throwing away all my used school supplies, bedding, towels, and personal care items.
Finally, my second suitcase is half-full of the clothing I will wear next week so everything is in one place and I don’t have to dig through all of my bags to find things. I have left room in there for the last minute toiletries and accessories. Some of the clothing I wear this week will probably be packed in there as well, and my remaining 3 pairs of shoes. I will try to pack my 2 other jackets but worst-case scenario I can wear them on the plane. I wanted to try to spread out the weight of shoes, books, and souvenirs among the 3 checked bags. My backpack will get my laptop and electronic equipment, jewelry, my small purse, and a book for the flight. I will also have my parents and brother to take an item or too if need be, but I should be fine.

No comments:
Post a Comment