There were several times this semester where something happened with someone I loved and more then anything I wanted to be there with them. Good, bad, or just in between, hearing someone say they miss you is not always a blessing. The missing is usually mutual, and knowing someone needs you, yet knowing you can’t be there for them is never easy.
This semester was amazing, but not always wonderful. There were times I wanted nothing more then to go home. February was the hardest month, it was long and cold and lonely. After the initial excitement and newness wears away, I couldn’t help but wonder what I had gotten myself into. That month I felt like I was missing out on more at home, from snow to parties, and other events.
Some students never feel this way- I know people who have never admitted to feeling homesick, who claim they don’t want to leave. In a way, I feel bad for them though. My day-to-day, boring life is pretty awesome, and I can’t wait to get home now. It’s close enough that I can taste it, feel it, and I want it so badly to be here. I am ready to leave. They are depressed to leave because they feel they have nothing to look forward to and enjoy, while I can’t wait.
Homesickness is painful: there is no denying that and at times, I wished it away. Missing people just sucks, and can be difficult when you feel like you are missing out on your own life, with your own friends, on building your own relationships. Sometimes I felt like, “this can’t be my life,” in London, because the real me is at PITT trying to figure life out. But knowing you have so much to look forward to? That my adventures this summer will be just as fun, if not more so, then this semester? I wouldn’t trade that to have a perfect London experience ever.

No comments:
Post a Comment