Sunday, March 14, 2010

Hickory, dickory, dock; the mouse ran up the clock

I’ve only spent 2 nights in my room since spotting my 2 tiny boarders. Last night, I arrived from Berlin at 1.30AM, exhausted, could barely email my parents to let them know I was safe and sound, yet managed to lie in bed for a several minutes and ponder every squeak and creak of the building as a rodent call to action on my floor. Just thinking about them in the bright sunlight of my window makes me shiver. I know they can’t hurt me, I know they just want food and warmth, but all I see is the dirt and disease they spread as they scurry across my floor.


One of my most distinctive memories as a child involved my mother and a mouse. When we lived in NJ, each year mice would invade our condo. My mom would pack up Kyle and I, move in with her parents, and tell my dad to take care of the issue, she’d be back when the mice were gone. My grandparent’s welcomed the 3 of us, spoiling Kyle and I while my dad set traps and spent each night alone.


When I was 5 years old, I walked in the front door after Kindergarten to find my mom standing on a kitchen chair, yelling at me to “get off the floor!” as she hopped up and down and pointed at the ground. Kyle, about 3 years old, was perched on the couch and wouldn’t move a muscle.


I forget what I jumped on, but I have no doubt I stayed there until told I could safely get down. Just thinking about it makes me laugh as I picture the 3 of us standing on the furniture. I am sure my mom was calling my dad’s car phone (side note: remember those? They were huge! It was the coolest thing when he first got one) and my grandfather at work, trying to figure out how she could get us out of the condo without touching the floor.


While I’ve never been a fan of heights or small spaces, I can handle them. They are a fear. I can justify them in my mind: I do not like heights because I do not like the idea of falling. I do not like small spaces because I don’t want to be stuck in an elevator with a crowd if it gets stuck. I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower and I ride elevators crammed with people because while it’s not my first choice, it’s part of life; it’s an experience. Yet, the idea of this mouse freaks me out. I am anxious just thinking about it being anywhere near my room. While I do not think I quite have a phobia, it’s a little more then your average fear, and it is completely irrational.


Spring break could not have come at a better time. I was traveling and avoiding all thoughts of fuzzy, dirty visitors to my clean, neat room all week. I am back now, and it is good. I haven’t seen the mice since I nervously opened my door, and I am hoping all the other students returning from break have brought yummy goodies they will leave on the floor for little mice friends to find. My guests have been reported and hopefully caught an on-time flight to their next home.


I’m still sorting pictures and memories of Dublin and Berlin; those posts will come later this week. Meanwhile, cross your fingers for no rodents and nice weather!

No comments:

Post a Comment