You know those days where just waking up proves it’s going to be a rough one? Yesterday was that for me. I woke up with a headache, took some Tylenol and went back to sleep. When I woke up, I felt a lot better, but it also meant I had missed some precious time with Julia, who had to leave right after lunch.
Got her to the train station, came back to my dorm, thinking I’d work on a couple papers, catch up on TV online, and get back in the groove for classes today. Got settled on my bed, laptop and notebooks and a bottle of water at hand (I was still fighting the last of that headache). Opened my computer. Itunes and Internet update? Sure computer, no problem, you go right ahead. Hmm, you need me to restart? Sure, I can do that. I’ll just save my paper first.
Blank, blinking gray screen is facing me. Folder with a giant “?” in the center floating across my screen.
Automatic panic mode.
My computer had crashed. Like the baby it is, I rushed it to the hospital (aka Apple store) where a nice lady took one look at my tear stained face, the computer cradled in my arms, and let me jump 10 people in line. She sat me on a bench, had me describe what happened, and took my laptop to the back to be examined. The answer: hard drive crash. 4-6 weeks for a fix. Covered under warranty. All information can be recovered, but not for 4-6 weeks.
I rode the half hour home on the tube empty handed. My friends kindly let me use their laptops to get a hold of my family, talk to a friend, to check my email and calm down. I lay in bed later, a pounding headache from crying (one of the many reasons tears are terrible), thinking of all my photos, music, and the started papers that I had not emailed myself. Sleep was not easy.
First thing this morning, I headed to the Apple store with my list of questions. The manager was nice, sat and listened to me, then went into the back to have a look at the infamous computer himself. He came out smiling. It seems my hard drive hadn’t crashed, but the update had corrupted my software. Easy to fix. Might happen again, and if it does, I can bring it back in, but there is a decent chance it will be fine.
If I didn't know the Brits don't like random physical contact, I would have hugged him.
Over here, my laptop is my lifeline. I have never been so technology dependent before, and I can’t say I like the feeling. At home, I use my cell phone and Ipod for the majority of my technology time. I check my email, but that is the only guaranteed every day online activity. I use my computer for school and it’s necessary, but I could survive without it. In London, my computer works as my cell phone, with Skype, and as my main source of entertainment, with movies, music, and TV. It’s excessive, but true for most study abroad students. Our laptops become our lifelines, our communication with home, friends, and family.
Cross your fingers for me the problem is solved, and thank goodness for Macbook Geniuses.

oh honey. Horrible event, but you excel at story-telling. Very clever, you. And sooooo glad it worked out! WHAT WOULD I DO WITH MY TIME?!?!
ReplyDelete